The Board of Directors and staff of the Christmas Exchange of Ottawa-Carleton are committed to protecting the privacy of our donors and clients. The Christmas Exchange website is operated in accordance with this same set of values. Certain processes available on this website are used to collect personal information such as “Become a Volunteer,” “Donate Online,” registering for special events, etc. You do not need to give personal information to receive information from this site. Christmas Exchange does not collect personal information about you unless you choose to provide that information to us. Any personally identifiable data about donors, clients or website visitors is stored securely and used only for the purpose for which it is provided to us.
The Christmas Exchange does not buy, sell or exchange its donor list with any other organization.
We respect your privacy. When you visit our web site, contact us, participate in one of our special events, become a member, make a donation to support our programs or seek support through our programs, we are committed to protecting your privacy rights and your personal information.
In order to do so we have adopted the following 10 Privacy Principles:
- Responsibility to protect your personal information
Christmas Exchange is responsible for the protection of your personal information collected through our web site, response to our fundraising campaigns or client referral applications. This responsibility extends when personal information is transferred to or collected by third parties on our behalf (i.e. the Westin Ottawa when selling tickets to the annual Christmas Cheer Breakfast, or community organizations such as churches, schools, and social service agencies that refer clients to receive services).
- Obligation to identify the purposes for collecting personal information
Before we collect any personal information from you, we will identify the purpose for the collection. A statement of purposes will be communicated wherever possible.
- Requirement for knowledge and consent
We will only collect personal information with your knowledge and consent, except in limited situations as permitted by law. This may be with your express consent (for example, where you voluntarily provide information on a form for purposes you clearly understand and agree to) or by declining an opportunity to opt-out of our collection or use of your personal information.
You can withdraw your consent to the collection, or use of your personal information at any time, subject to any legal requirements and reasonable notice.
- Limiting information collection
We only collect personal information relevant to the purposes that have been identified. We collect information fairly and lawfully, and directly from individuals wherever possible.
You have the right to provide as much, or as little personal information as you choose to share. However, if the information is being collected in order to provide you with services, choosing not to provide the information requested may result in us not being able to provide services.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention of your information
We only use or disclose your personal information for the purposes we have identified to you.
- Responsibility to ensure the accuracy of your personal information
Virtually all of the personal information that we collect for fund-raising purposes comes directly from the individuals themselves. Information collected for the purposes of providing services to individuals is collected through a third party such as church, school, social services agency and other community organizations.
We generally assume this information to be accurate and complete, unless we are informed otherwise.
- Responsibility to safeguard your personal information
The Christmas Exchange Board of Directors and staff are committed to use appropriate safeguards to protect all personal information in its custody and control.
We are open about our policies and procedures. We make reasonable efforts to inform individuals about our policies and procedures, the purposes for which we collect, use or disclose personal information, and how to access your personal information.
- Your right to access your personal information
Upon request, we will inform you if we hold any personal information about you and provide you with access to this information. If we have any personal information about you, we will also tell you for what purposes it is used or disclosed.
You have a right to update any personal information that we hold on you by contacting us:
Phone: 613-226-6434 ext. 227; fax: 613-226-7522; e-mail: [email protected]; or post:
P.O. Box 5167
Ottawa, ON K2C 3H4
In addition to the above Privacy Principles, Christmas Exchange uses the information collected via this web site, mail outs and any of our events as follows:
Payment Data Collected
When you choose to make an online donation, purchase event tickets or register for an event through the Christmas Exchange website, we may request the following information:
- Contact information: first and last name, street address, city, province, postal code, telephone number, e-mail address and other contact information. This information is used to process your donation and your tax receipt.
- Credit card information for donations, the purchase of tickets, or registration for special events: we process standard credit card information (card number, card type and expiration date) via a secure web site. Credit card information is only shared with the credit card companies that process the information: Caledon Card Services for Visa, Amex, and Diners’ Club; First Data for MasterCard.
This information is only used to process the payment you authorize.
Potential volunteers who complete the online application form are assured of confidentiality. Your information is secure and will not be shared with any other organization. When you choose to submit a volunteer information/application form through the our website, we may request the following information:
- Contact information: first and last name, street address, city, province, postal code, telephone number, e-mail address and other contact information. This information is used to process your volunteer application.
- Personal information: information about your particular area of interest and your personal references. This information is used to process your volunteer application.